September is Healthy Aging Month, and we've got a lot of activities, facts, and more to get you and your family is involved. In order to celebrate this month, make sure you get enough sleep, exercise, and eat well.
Knowing the history of the Healthy Aging Month
What do you know about Healthy Aging Month? Do you know that it was recognized 30 years ago?
Health is the most important aspect of aging, so you are encouraged to take care of your health habits during Healthy Aging Month. It all began more than 30 years ago with the generation born in the 1940s, at the time in their fifties, with the main idea that it is possible to live a healthy life and age gracefully at any age.
Several actions were taken in order to promote Healthy Aging Month:
1. The US Postal Service (USPS) launched a health promotion campaign in 1996. The purpose of this campaign was to promote healthy living and letter writing to empower and encourage those struggling with mental health problems. There were also television commercials, seminars, guides, and kits involved in this great campaign.
2. The magazine "Healthy Aging" was also launched in 2000. The articles and information provided examples of positive lifestyle changes that could improve health and wellness.
3. In 2014, the Healthy Aging website was launched. Now people can subscribe to digital newsletters with information and resources. Here are some of their suggestions:
- Healthy Aging Magazine
- 10 Tips For September Is Healthy Aging Month
- September Is Healthy Aging Month Celebrates 30 Years
As part of Healthy Aging Month, September is devoted to promoting health among people over 45 years old, especially those who are physically and mentally active. Thousands of people participate in fun physical activities each year and encourage others to do the same, such as yoga, tai chi or Pilates.
Why Healthy Aging Month is so Important to Us
1. It's a reminder to stay healthy
Getting caught up in our daily routines makes it easy for us to forget to take care of ourselves. We are reminded this month that aging comfortably requires maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Small changes in our routine can make a difference, for example: practicing gratitude, spending more time in nature and being kind.
2. We can learn new skills
Adding healthy foods to your diet or playing a sport you've always desired can improve your well-being. Make sure you lead a healthy and balanced lifestyle by taking advantage of this opportunity. The arts of drawing, painting, photography, and woodworking are great examples of ways to keep your brain active.
3. We can expand our knowledge
It is crucial that we have all the information we need to make informed decisions about our lives. In your senior years, you shouldn't miss out on the opportunity to try new things and grow intellectually. You can engage in mentally stimulating activities in order to build your brain. Explore things that require manual dexterity and mental effort, like drawing, painting, and other crafts. Read, take courses, and engage in "mental gymnastics," such as word puzzles or math problems. Now's the time to try something you've always wanted to do, but never had time for.
Keeping an eye on your diet, staying active and continuing learning, are some of the things that can help you age gracefully and happily.
At ActivePro Nursing & Homecare Inc. we have experienced caregivers and home nurses who are willing and able to provide you with the best and most specialized care, adapted to your needs, in the Toronto and Niagara regions. You and your loved ones can count on us!
Active Pro: The well-being of our older adults is our top priority!