If you or someone you know is recovering from surgery, requires additional support to remain safely at home as they age or needs ongoing care for a chronic illness, private homecare services can supplement family support and the available publicly funded services. Here's how to choose the right homecare solution for your family's unique needs.
Private vs. Agency Homecare
It can be tempting to try to save a few dollars by directly hiring a private caregiver. But look closely, and you may find it is not worth the risks involved. When you hire someone privately, you are personally taking on all the legal and financial responsibilities, as well as the liability risks of being an employer.
Going through a reputable homecare agency minimizes your workload while protecting you and your loved ones from many potential risks, including abuse and identity theft.
Choosing the Right Home Care Agency
There are many agencies in the market, but since there is no regulation of the industry in Ontario, choosing one that provides services in a manner you are comfortable with is key. After all, when you allow someone into your home, you want to trust and have confidence in that person.
Questions to ask when selecting an agency:
- How long have you been serving this community?
- Does the agency provide the types of services I need & when I need them? Are there weekend surcharges?
- How are caregivers hired & trained? What qualifications do they have? Have they been verified?
- Are the caregivers bonded & insured? Have criminal record background & references (personal & business) been thoroughly checked?
- Is a supervisor available 24/7 in case of an emergency?
- What happens if my caregiver is ill or suddenly leaves?
- Are all Revenue Canada and WSIB reporting and compliance requirements current?
- Will you provide a free assessment and a personalized care plan that meets my needs?
- Will I be locked into a contract? What happens if my needs change or if I’m dissatisfied with my caregiver?
- Will your agency provide references from past and present clients?