It’s important to be aware of the warning signs that your aging parent needs help because; one thing for sure is that your parents won't be the ones who tell you they need help!Seniors have a strong desire to remain independent and in control of their own lives for as long as possible. But, the truth is that your parents will begin to need more and more help and that’s totally normal, it’s part of life. Knowing these signs can help you not only protect your parents, but also to know if they really need help. Take a look at the following list of signs.
- Bounced cheques, calls from collection agencies and late payment notices.
- Broken appliances.
- Changes in mood or extreme mood swings.
- Cluttered, dirty and/or disorganized home.
- Confusion and uncertainty when performing once-familiar tasks.
- Depressed or low energy temperament.
- Disheveled clothing.
- Expired/spoiled groceries that don’t get thrown away.
- Forgetting to take medications.
- House and yard need care/maintenance.
- Loss of interest in activities and hobbies.
- Missing important appointments.
- Poor diet or weight loss.
- Poor personal hygiene.
- Trouble getting up from a seated position.
- Unexplained bruising.
- Unexplained dents or scratches on the car.
It’s essential that if you see someone displaying any of these signs, recognize that it’s time to take action and have a serious conversation with your loved ones to find the best care and solution for them.
Wherever their home may be, our caregivers can help keep your loved ones safe. Call our local Niagara office at (289) 434-4704 to learn how elderly care services can assist your family.